Criteria and Standards for Admission
All applications to the Ph.D. program are reviewed holistically to ensure that the program is a good fit for an applicant's academic and professional interests and abilities. Because the Ph.D. program is a research-intensive degree, the admissions process emphasizes an applicant's research interests and their alignment with the IHE curriculum and/or the expertise of Institute faculty. The most competitive applicants typically have significant exposure to research in a master’s program and/or through professional experience on a campus or higher education agency. Although the Ph.D. program is primarily designed for full-time students, we also admit students interested in part-time enrollment. Criteria and standards for admission are the same for full-time and part-time students.
Students admitted to the Institute's doctoral programs typically have already earned a master's degree. Exceptions are approved in certain circumstances.
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae
- Current Graduate Record Examination scores (the most competitive applicants are above 50th percentile in each section)
- The applicant's statement of career goals and objectives (maximum of 500 words)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts from all previously attended institutions are acceptable as part of the application review process. However, official transcripts will be required if admitted to the program.
Ph.D. Application and Assistantship Procedures
Ph.D. applications are reviewed during the winter each year for admission into the cohort beginning the following fall term. Applicants interested in an assistantship should apply no later than December 15. Students are considered for assistantships after being admitted to the program. Applicants are encouraged to apply by January 9 for full consideration in the fall term. After such date, applications will be considered on a space available basis.
Prospective students must complete the UGA Graduate School online application. Files will not be considered for admission until all required documents are received.
Information needed for the online application:
- Degree Objective: PhD
- Major: Higher Education
- Degree Objective/Major Code: PHD_EDHI_HI
Graduate Program Administrator